Wednesday 8 February 2012

Oversized knitting

When I went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Ally Pally in October, I picked up two skeins of Gedifra Easywear. I just fell in love with the colour blend and the feel of the yarn.

What I soon found out was that having just two skeins was going to be pretty limiting and with the yarn being discontinued, there was very little chance of finding more. I tried, but even Ebay brought me no joy.

The other thing I'd not quite factored in when buying the yarn was that it's to be knitted on 20mm needles. I had a look on Ravelry and after reading a number of comments that said the yarn really calls for the huge needles, I resigned myself and ordered a pair.

I decided to knit a simple snood, inspired by another snood I bought at a high street outlet at the beginning of the winter which has been keeping me toasty and has been admired by a number of friends.

Manipulating the humongous needles was rather awkward at first. Hubby thought it was hilarious and took the following picture to demonstrate just how oversized those needles are compared to my hands.


The good news is that it took me just an hour to knit a snood and I had just enough yarn for it. I worked it with one row of knitting with a yarn over in between each stitch followed by a purl row where I let the yarn overs slide off the needle. This makes a row of loose stitches followed by a row of tight stitches. It's actually quite nice.



The bad news is that as much as I liked the colour mix on the skein, I'm not feeling it so much now that it's been knitted :-( Ah well, this would make a great gift for someone, in fact,  I may just know who!

No comments:

Post a Comment