Sunday 9 September 2012

Peacock earrings

I've been feeling quite frustrated lately. I have a head full of plans and projects but rarely the energy to match it. I'm also itching to get started on a load of baby makes, especially the nursery, but I have to wait until we've picked up our furniture from my sister's later this month. And we've been told that we're most likely expecting a girl (we are delighted!) but I want to wait for a definite confirmation from a scan in Belgium before committing myself to some gender specific makes.

I've started other projects, a set of screen printed baby grows and a knitted sleeping bag among other things, but I haven't finished any of it yet, meaning I can't blog about it. And so the little blog looks neglected for a while longer.

During one of my many sleepless nights last week, I found myself thinking about one of the pins on my Pinterest jewellery board. Don't ask me why that pin suddenly came to mind, especially as I must have accumulated hundreds of pins on there by now, all I know is that I had to try and replicate it and have spent a few hours lying awake and debating how best to do it.

I have an insane stash of crafty stuff and amongst it, a pile of colour plated wires. I must have bought those with a specific project in mind but as often happens, other projects took precedence and the purpose of the coloured wires has been forgotten. But hey, they were just what I needed for this project, proof that a well stocked stash always comes in handy :-)

After two mornings of wrapping a series of coloured wires around a bead threaded on another piece of gold plated wire, voilà: a pair of peacock feather earrings!


I didn't have any gold plated fishhooks in my stash so I made these myself. I do think the wire I'm using is a bit too soft for fishhooks though so I'll have to buy some proper ones next time I place an order for jewellery supplies.

The earrings look stunning, if I may say so myself, proper showpieces. I'd love to show them off with a nice party frock. But probably not this year, I'm afraid by the time the party season starts, only a tent will fit me!

3 comments:

  1. Aaah, I know I"m supposed to feel flattered, but you didn't even give me credit for the design, Sarah-Jane. The wirewrapped peacock earrings you copied from your Pinterest pin are my original design, sold under my shop name, Woojoo. They were not taught to me or copied from someone else's design, but evolved over time. It's fine, as long as you are not selling them or teaching others to make them.

    Aloha,
    Georgette Woo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Georgette,

    I'd like to point out that I did link the text to your Etsy shop so people could clearly see where the original design came from. It was never my intention to rip off your design or to mislead people, I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way.
    I would also like to reassure you that this project was done purely for my personal entertainment and not for personal gain :-)
    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Sarah-Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah-Jane,

    Thanks for writing me back. I never thought to click on "that pin." Thank you for linking, and best of luck with your preparations to welcome a new baby into your home. I hope it is a girl because I loooove having a daughter, although I suspect having a son is just as wonderful. I wish you and your husband a smooth delivery and much joy and contentment.

    Aloha,
    Georgette

    ReplyDelete