Tuesday 22 February 2011

Fun with a bit of wire

One of my dreams, is to one day make and sell my own little line of jewellery. Nothing fancy, no big world domination plan, I just want to get some of my craft out there for people to love and cherish and get a bit of money for it in return. But I am still seeking my muse, my style, my signature, and I still have quite a few techniques to learn in order for me to translate the ideas lodged in my little head into proper pieces of art. This is why I have decided that this year, I would try to learn, study (finances allowing) and practice all sorts of jewellery techniques I come across. If I see something I like, I will try it.

That is how I found myself staring at a magazine at the weekend and thinking "This doesn't look all that complicated... I could probably make it!" So I got my box of beads out, found a piece of memory wire lurking somewhere in there and started threading beads and twisting wire until I'd managed to make this rather colourful creation:

It was astonishingly easy, I only had a couple of false starts. It was also surprisingly quick, I probably made the whole thing in just under 2 hours. If I was to make more of these, I'd probably pick smaller beads and look into using a different wire, I'm pretty sure memory wire isn't made for this, though it worked out well enough in the end!

I love crafts that have something intrinsically organic, a will of their own, a bit of unpredictability. I love starting something with a bit of an idea of what it should look like but give it a bit of room for it to become what it wants to become. This technique certainly fit the bill for me!

So dear reader, what do you think of my wire and bead experiment?

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful. You are very talented! (looks expensive too!)

    ReplyDelete