Wednesday 14 March 2012

Adventures in upcycling and customising

One of the advantages of being crafty is that you can customise your clothes, turning a regular piece of garment into something interesting and making sure that that high street t-shirt doesn't look like everyone else's. Being crafty also means you don't necessarily have to throw clothes away when they don't fit, with a bit of imagination, anything can be re-used.

Upcycling and customising T-shirts is just what I did recently.

Firstly, I turned an ill-fitting top into a really nice necklace. And when I was finished, I still had enough to make a second one and then some!


Secondly, I bought a really plain navy stripe tee and made it my own, with a little help of Pinterest.

I'm quite short so I often find that sleeves are too long for me. Luckily, I love tops with thumb cuffs and nothing could be simpler to make. Just unpick the stitches right above the seam for about 1 inch. Stitch the top and bottom of the opening to prevent it from unravelling, et voilà, you have thumb cuffs! Jersey doesn't fray so there's no need to secure the edges of the thumbhole.
Elbow patches are making a comeback and I quite like them so I decided to add some to my top. Having decided to use felt but unsure of the wool content in the felt I have here at home, I did a little experiment on some scrap jersey first.

Both the felts I had seemed to work just fine but one is a little bit thicker and a little bit more rigid than the other one so I went with that one, it seemed like the right thing to use for elbow patches. To attach the patches, I used the needle felting tool and worked from the centre to the outer edges.

A lot of energetic stabbing later (needle felting is brilliant if you need to work off some frustration), the patches are in place and I'm loving the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment