Tuesday 12 March 2013

All about comfort: speedy nursery makes

In the summer of last year, I'd bought some very cute, vintage looking, flannel fabric to make a spare cover for my maternity pillow but as with everything else, I never got round to it.



When Nimue was diagnosed with silent reflux at four weeks (horrible, horrible, horrible! I'll spare you the details), it became clear we'd be spending quite a bit of time on her feeds. During the day it's no big issue, it just takes a bit of patience but at night, when you have to spend a minimum of an hour each time in the nursing chair, you want to be comfortable. So I've used my fabric to first make a cover for the nursing pillow. A very wise move that's been as in the last few weeks, her reflux isn't so silent anymore and it's been good to have a washable cover on that cushion!

And since I had some fabric leftover after that, I've also made a neck pillow so if we doze off, we don't end up with a crooked neck. I've used a ton of toy filling I had in my stash to stuff the cushion and hey voila, our necks have been taken care of :-)



I didn't have a pattern for either. For the nursing pillow I traced around the cushion and then corrected the lines/angles. For the neck pillow, I dug up an inflatable one that lives in my suitcase and used that as the basis for my pattern. It was all done in about a couple of hours while hubby looked after the little one. Maybe not my best piece of sewing but it has been a real life saver these last few weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment