Tuesday 5 March 2013

Cosy baby knits

I didn't manage to do much crafting during pregnancy. Frustratingly, just when I had the best reason ever to make lots of cute things, my creativity was sapped out of me. I have since learnt that your uterus holds your creative energy apparently so I guess while my womb was very busy making a gorgeous (if I may say so myself!) baby, there wasn't much energy left for other creations.

I did manage to start a knitted sleeping bag however and finished it just a few days before giving birth. I even got round to taking a few pics on my old baby doll (nearly 30 years she is!) but never found the time to blog about it. And yes that doll is massive, it's about the size of a six months old!


I've used a Debbie Bliss pattern, it's super easy to knit. But it still took me months to finish! The pattern calls for a zip but I was worried it might irritate the baby's chin so decided to use some grosgrain ribbon to stiffen the edges and use poppers instead. I've also added a tassel to the hood because, well, why not?

The bag is quite big so Nimue should be able to use it for a while and she's super toasty in it, she loves it. Personally, I think she looks like a little doll in there!


I had a fair bit of yarn left over once I was done with the sleeping bag so in an attempt to distract myself from the fact that my due date had been and gone and I was still without a baby, I started knitting a hat from the same book. I knitted the rib then realised I didn't have the right size needles to carry on. I was going to go needle shopping the next day but of course that morning my waters broke and all our plans got cancelled! 

It's taken me a while again to finish the hat, not because it's a particularly difficult or big project, I've just really struggled to find the time to knit. I'm glad I've finally finished it though, just before the weather gets too hot or her head too big for her to wear it.

As much as I've enjoyed making this, I'm going to take a little break from crafting so I can use the spare time to read some of the baby books I have piled up in my living room. I'm sure it won't take long before the crafting bug gets me again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment