Sunday 20 July 2014

Week 27, 28 & 29: Playing catch up

So it seems I haven't posted for the past 3 weeks, eek!

Early July was just a bit frantic with work, it was quarterly reports time and that's always time consuming and a bit stressful. I seem to remember crashing with exhaustion one Sunday evening and saying "fuck it" to writing the blog. Sorry!

Then last week I was armed with good intentions but I was defeated by my internet provider who conked out on me for the whole evening, just as I was ready to write my update. I thought I'd just write on the Monday instead but I forgot, oops! Re-sorry!

So what's happened these past few weeks? well, loads! Some good like my daughter developing an entire vocabulary nearly overnight and my planning a street party with my super duper neighbours, some not so good, like losing (albeit temporarily) a client and thus a huge chunk of my income on the same day my hubby got a gig cancelled on him, leaving us in a rather precarious financial situation.

I have cried and worried and not slept over this whole work and money thing but I'm keeping faith that this is just a period of change and that something wonderful is just around the corner for hubby and me. We just need to ride this storm and keep thinking of new ways to generate an income and somewhere down the line, we'll realise this was a key turning point for us, one that was scary but probably needed.

As always, there's been much baking and cooking. A couple of noteworthy experiments were frozen yoghurt lollies and Swedish cinnamon buns.

For the frozen yoghurt, I simply blended strawberries with greek yoghurt then sweetened to taste.
I then put the mixture in a tub and left it in the freezer for a few hours until frozen through. Then I whizzed the frozen yoghurt in the blender again. That's to break down large ice crystals and add a bit of air to the yoghurt, thus making it softer.
Once blended, I transferred the yoghurt to lolly moulds (Ikea sells some cheap ones) and left them in the freezer for a day.
The big test of course is whether or not our little madam will like them but they were an instant hit.
The finished product


I can't really take credit for the cinnamon buns other than I asked my swedish colleague for her recipe. After that, I entrusted it to my expert husband and he went to work with it. The finished product was a bit on the large side but they were really delicious. We'll be giving these a go again in the near future.

The dough pre-being rolled

The buns ready to go in the oven

The finished buns. Nom nom!
I haven't been very productive on the craft front, instead I have spent a lot of time reading. I think after all the stress and worry of the last few weeks, I just needed the quiet contemplation that reading a good novel offers.

Until next time dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment