Monday 7 May 2012

Baby knits - part 2

My latest baby knits have reached their destination safely so I can finally blog about them. 

Little Liam was born in Quebec at the end of February and I'd promised his mum I would handcraft him something with love. 

I came across this cute pattern by Sublime for a little motoring coat and matching hat and I just couldn't resist. 

I decided to knit it in Debbie Bliss Eco Baby, an organic cotton yarn. I had to fiddle somewhat to get the tension right but eventually found that by dropping 2 needle sizes I could get the right stitch count. This meant I had to go and buy size 2.5mm needles, as I only had double pointed ones in that size. I usually prefer knitting on wooden or bamboo needles but when knitting with very fine needles, I have now learnt that you're better off with metallic ones or, if you insist on wood, then go for circular ones. The straight bamboo needles were just too soft and ended up bending after the first few rows. With the circular needles, the needle part is that much shorter that it doesn't really have the opportunity to bend. 

This pattern is really easy but it's knitted in many individual parts so if like me, you don't particularly like stitching your knitting together, it's a bit of a bummer. I stayed up most of the night to finish the stitching, I just got so fed up with it, I had to get it out of the way! But the final result looked great. The yarn is really soft and the pebble colour gives it a bit of of a vintage feel. What do you think?


 Little Liam certainly seems to like it, even if it's still a few sizes too big for him!


No comments:

Post a Comment