Thursday 7 April 2011

My peculiar fascination with Tempe Brennan

In November last year, whilst being a little bit bored on the ferry crossing from Dover to Dunkerque (or the other way round, I can't remember) I picked up a copy of "206 bones" by Kathy Reichs.

At that point, and this despite being a fan of the TV series "Bones", I had no idea who Kathy Reichs was. And little did I know her novels would become my next reading obsession!


Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist, a novellist and the producer of the series "Bones". Both her novels and the series share the same central character: Tempe Brennan. But apart from the fact she is a forensic anthropologist in both, the Tempe Brennan from the series and the Tempe Brennan from the book have fairly little in common.

I really enjoyed "206 Bones" and when I found out it was the 12th book in a series, the bookworm in me could not resist buying the first two books in the series, then the next two, then the next three, then...


I don't really know why I enjoy reading the adventures of Tempe Brennan so much. I mean, there's a lot in it to like, the pace, the plot, the characters and their relationships... But there's also a lot that repulses me like the graphic descriptions of the corpses and the autopsies, or just goes over my head like the scientific details; that's not really my cup of tea. And yet, I can't put the books down and I can't stop myself from buying the next instalment.

I've come to the conclusion that I have developed a fascination with Tempe Brennan. The one from the book that is, not the geeky, awkward woman from the TV series. Tempe Brennan is an aspirational character for me: she's smart, successful in her field, independent, witty and sexy. She leads a somewhat unconventional life that somehow resonates with me. I have no intention of becoming a forensic anthropologist, ever, but I am seduced by this 40-something woman and her lifestyle. When I grow up, I want to be just like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment